1. Decide what you want to put in your scrapbook? Each person has a unique view on what they consider to be important, so not all scrapbooks should be the same. Some of you might want to remember all your past layouts. Some may want to remember all their favorite posts, or comment conversations. It varies, and it doesn't haven't to be just one thing. Make a list.. you can always add to it, or take away from it.
2. After you make the post, you need to edit it. I would say AT LEAST once a month, to keep up with it.
3. You can make the post public, friends only, or private. Whichever you like. It's your scrapbook. Just make it easy for you to find.
4. Keep it organized. Find the best way for you to keep the post organized and pretty. If you think of an actual SCRAPBOOK, they're pretty with stickers and designs, and they're organized. You don't open a scrapbook to find a picture of you as a baby next to an article about the first cheese factory opening on the moon.
5. HAVE FUN! Enjoy it, be creative, make it your own.
-If you know you are the type to forget about the scrapbook, make it hard for you to forget. Set it as your homepage, put a link to it somewhere visible, put something SOMEWHERE that will help you to remember to keep up with it.
-If you are the type to get lazy and only update it when you feel like it, make it easier! Bookmark entries, use the lj memories, have an ongoing notepad doc that you can just cut and paste in, email things to yourself. Have SOME WAY of remembering what you need to add for when you do feel like updating it.
-Problems with organizing it? Use tables, figure out HOW you want to keep it organized. Do it by month? Do it by category? Whichever is easiest for you.
-Make it fun. The more fun you make it, the more you will want to keep it up. Make graphics for it, use mini-icons, headers, borders.. whatever you need to do to make it unique.
Still don't get it? Check out some examples from 2008 Scrapbook here
-Screenshots of layouts
-Links to memorable posts
-Awards you won for icontests
-Links to your favorite picspams
-Links to comment convos
-Your favorite art works
-Link to your "100 movies in 2009" posts.
-List your favorite fandoms for each month
-Your favorite tv episodes